Police Certificates Terms and Conditions of Service
The following terms and conditions relate to the Police Certificates service provided by ACRO Criminal Records Office (ACRO). Please read these terms and conditions carefully. If you do not accept these terms and conditions, we will not be able to process your application.
1. You will be provided with your Police Certificate only if you have provided the following:
- a completed application form
- ONE proof of your current address from the list at the end of the application
- colour copies of your passport(s) / travel document(s)
- a colour passport style photo
- power of attorney / legal documents (if applicable)
- your application must be endorsed
2. The provisions of the Data Protection Act mean that in certain circumstances we will not provide some personal data. You will not be provided with personal data if:
- releasing it to you would be likely to prejudice a criminal investigation
- it identifies other individuals
- it is not relevant for your Police Certificate
3. Certificates are prepared in accordance with the ACRO step-down model (this model is also applied to Northern Irish, Scottish, military and overseas convictions). Please note that your certificate will contain any impending prosecutions and offences that are under investigation.
4. ACRO will not accept responsibility for Police Certificates that are rejected by the relevant embassy, high commission or requiring authority of a country. It is your responsibility to check if a Police Certificate is acceptable for countries other than Australia, Belgium, Canada, Cayman Islands, New Zealand, South Africa or USA.
5. If you receive a Police Certificate that includes results of convictions, it is your choice if you proceed with your application to the embassy / high commission.
1. You must complete your application in English. If you fail to complete your application in English you will not receive your Police Certificate and you will not be refunded.
2. We reserve the right to request original identity documentation. Where we request original documents they will be returned to you by registered post.
3. We reserve the right to request additional information or clarification. Your application will not be processed without the requested information. The working days applied to the service will be suspended until this additional information has been received.
4. If we request additional documentation, information or clarification and you do not reply by the date specified, we will cancel your application.
5. We aim to dispatch your Police Certificate within the agreed service time (12 working days for standard or four working days for premium). Please also allow reasonable time for delivery of the certificate.
6. ACRO cannot be held responsible for items lost or delayed in the post by the postal service or third party delivery companies.
7. ACRO adhere to the Royal Mail lost in post policy and will not send any replacements free of charge until your item is considered lost under this policy.
8. The information you provide in this application form must be accurate and it must relate to you.
9. You must declare all the names you have ever been known by.
10. ACRO will make any enquiries deemed necessary to process your application or to verify the information you have provided.
11. Your application may be subject to significant delays if searches of other police/law enforcement databases are required, or if you are subject to an impending prosecution. If this is the case we are unable to provide timescales for the release of the certificate and we therefore advise that you DO NOT arrange travel, employment or accommodation plans until you have received your certificate. ACRO cannot be held liable for any costs associated with any failure to meet such plans or losses incurred should there be a delay with your certificate.
Your application may be delayed if any of the following occurrences take place:
- You fail to complete the application form correctly
- You do not apply the correct postage (for postal applications only)
- You do not provide the required supporting documents
- You do not provide the correct payment
- You send your application to the incorrect address for the service level required (postal applications only)
- You are subject to an impending/outstanding investigation
- Searches are required of historical police databases
- Searches are required of other law enforcement databases
- There is an unforeseen event or occurrence such as postal service restrictions, adverse weather conditions or computer system failure
1. We will only contact you in relation to your police certificate if necessary, by phone, email or letter
2. Due to the Data Protection Act 2018, ACRO will not provide you with information contained on police systems over the telephone or by email
3. The information you provide in your application will be used for processing your request and for any other policing purpose
4. The information supplied within your application and the information on the Police National Computer (PNC) record to which your application relates may be passed to other police agencies and government organisations in the interests of law enforcement
5. If you impersonate or attempt to impersonate another person you may be guilty of an offence
6. If you are an agent or principal-in-fact (i.e. you hold Power of Attorney) and are making an application on someone else’s behalf, you must provide the Power of Attorney documents as evidence
7. We may send the photograph you have provided in the application to your endorser to confirm that it is a true likeness of you. Please be aware that while the email will be sent from ACRO's secure network, unless the endorser has a secure email address the delivery to their personal inbox is an insecure connection via the public internet. ACRO cannot accept responsibility for any loss or inappropriate access to the email once it has left the ACRO secure network. It is your responsibility to ensure that the email address provided is accurate
8. We will not discuss or provide details about your application with another party without your prior consent, unless otherwise stated in your application and with the exception of point 5 and 6 above
9. We will securely store your personal information on our systems for 24 months
10. We will save web cookies on your computer or device to store your data whilst you complete your online application. The cookies will be deleted automatically when you submit your application or when your session times out.
1. Payment is due in full at the time of making your application
2. First class postage of your certificate to a UK address or standard airmail to an overseas address is included in the fee
3. ACRO will not be held responsible for any additional charges by your bank or card issuer
4. ACRO will not accept prepaid return envelopes or postal coupons, these will not be returned
Cancellations and refunds
1. If you cancel your application or we cannot process your application because you have failed to respond to requests for information, we will deduct an administration fee from any refund
2. If you overpay by £10.00 or less we will not be able to refund you and will donate any remaining money to charity
3. If you overpay by more than £10.00 we will contact you to arrange a refund or to obtain your agreement to donate the overpaid amount to charity. All refunds will be paid in UK Pounds Sterling
Raising a concern / dispute:
1. Concerns regarding our services should be made to our Customer Services department via email to: email@example.com or by letter to: ACRO, PO Box 481, Fareham, Hampshire, PO14 9FS, (UK). You can also contact us by telephone on (0)2380 479 920. We will endeavour to acknowledge your concern within five working days of receipt and we will endeavour to resolve your concern within 28 days.
2. Disputes regarding the information provided to you should be made by phone, email or letter using the contact details above.
3. ACRO will not be held responsible for errors in records held on national police systems. If you do not agree with the information on your certificate, ACRO will verify that the disclosure is an accurate reflection of (a) the information you have submitted in your application, and (b) the information held on national police systems. If you would like to dispute the information held about you on national police systems, ACRO will refer you to the relevant data owner (usually the police force or agency that created the record).